The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), within the Department of Transportation (DOT), has been given the responsibility to carry out safety programs to ensure the safest, most efficient aerospace system in the world. The FAA is responsible for:
- Regulating civil aviation to promote safety;
- Encouraging and developing civil aeronautics, including new aviation technology;
- Developing and operating a system of air traffic control and navigation for both civil and military aircraft;
- Developing and carrying out programs to control aircraft noise and other environmental effects of civil aviation; and
- Regulating U.S. commercial space transportation.
One of the programs that helps the FAA fulfill this mission is Selections WithIn Faster Times (SWIFT), a suite of automated personnel processing programs that support the FAA's personnel processes.