On October 31-November 2, 2000, the United States, Brunei Darussalam, Chile, New Zealand and Singapore met in Kona, Hawaii to negotiate the MALIAT. The MALIAT entered into force on December 21, 2001, and is open to accession. Key features of the MALIAT include:
- an open route schedule;
- open traffic rights, including seventh freedom cargo services;
- open capacity;
- airline investment provisions which focus on effective control and principal place of business, but protect against flag of convenience ailrines;
- multiple airline designation;
- third-country code-sharing; and
- a minimal tariff filing regime.