- Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Resources for Key Persons
- Regulations and Interpretations
- Part 40 Federal Register Notices, Court Decisions, Legislation
- Public Interest Exclusions
- Important Links
- Documents and Forms
- Videos, Posters, Brochures
- News and Events
- About Us
DOT Rule 49 CFR Part 40 Section 40.229 Q&A
Subpart K—Testing Sites, Forms, Equipment and Supplies Used in Alcohol Testing
§§40.229; 40.231 01/02
Is an employer considered to be in compliance with Part 40 if EBTs are not available within 30 minutes of an alcohol screening test location?
• An employer is not considered to be in compliance if an EBT is not available for use within 30 minutes to confirm the screening test.
• However, there may exist unusual circumstances (e.g., post-accident testing) in which an EBT is not available within the appropriate time frame. In such a case, the employer would not be considered out of compliance with the regulation if documentation exists showing a “good faith” effort to get an EBT. [It is important to note that most operating administrations give employers up to 8 hours to administer the appropriate alcohol test following a qualifying accident.]