- Drug and Alcohol Testing
- Resources for Key Persons
- Regulations and Interpretations
- Part 40 Federal Register Notices, Court Decisions, Legislation
- Public Interest Exclusions
- Important Links
- Documents and Forms
- Videos, Posters, Brochures
- News and Events
- About Us
Approved Alcohol Screening Devices
Alcohol screening devices (ASD) and evidential breath testing (EBT) on the NHTSA conforming products lists (CPL) for non-evidential and evidential devices – respectively - are the only devices allowed to be used to conduct alcohol screening tests under 49 CFR Part 40.
You may use an ASD that is on the NHTSA CPL for DOT alcohol tests only if there are instructions for its use in this part. An ASD can be used only for screening tests for alcohol, and may not be used for confirmation tests.