- Why Consider DOT?
- Application Process
- Tips and Resources
- Salary Information
- Career Fairs
- Students Opportunities
- Veteran Opportunities
- Diversity and Inclusion
- People with Disabilities
- Conditions of Employment
Office of Inspector General Undergraduate Internship
The undergraduate internship provides college juniors and seniors insight into the Federal government. Interns have a unique opportunity to gain understanding of the legislative process. Interns track transportation policy in Congress, attend committee hearings, learn how Congress works, and observe the operations of the Federal government. Interns acquire first-hand experience in the relationship between the Federal government and the media. In the Office of Legal Counsel, interns will work alongside OIG attorneys, providing research and other support.
Students in the program gain enhanced skills and knowledge, explore career options in the Federal government, acquire hands-on legal skills and experience, expand their networks in the Federal sector and transportation industry, and gain insight into the role of Federal agencies and Congress. In addition, we encourage students to expand their professional network and experiential basis by participating in any number of extracurricular programs designed for interns working in the Federal government.
- Must be a U.S. citizen, enrolled at an accredited university as a junior or senior
- Must possess a GPA average of 3.0 or the equivalent
- Must possess exceptional writing abilities, demonstrated achievement, character, and aptitude
- Students must provide a current resume and transcript, including a cover letter (noting desired start and end date, including the number of hours per week available for work)
- Students must provide three contact references, including a reference from a professor or advisor
|Internship Term||Applications Accepted||Internship Begins/Ends*|
|Spring||October 15 through December 1||January 5 through April 20 (approx.)|
|Summer||March 1 through April 15||June 8 through August 8 (approx.)|
|Fall||June 15 through August 1||September 1 through December 15 (approx.)|
*We will make accommodations for particular needs, including trimester schedules and varying academic calendars, and we will consider part-time schedule requests.