A summary of key regulations and policies regarding people with disabilities.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Pub. L. 101-336) (ADA)
- The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Pub. L. 93-112) (Rehab. Act)
- Section 501: Federal agencies may not discriminate in employment on the basis of disability. Further, Federal agencies are required to establish and implement programs that affirmatively advance the employment of qualified people with disabilities.
- Section 504: Prohibits discrimination in federally conducted programs on the basis of disability. For example, public hearings on rule making must be accessible to people with disabilities. Also, Federal facilities must be accessible to members of the public and Federal employees with disabilities.
- Section 508: Requires Federal agencies to make electronic and information technology accessible to members of the public and federal employees with disabilities. This includes computers, copying machines, phones, websites and more.
Updated: Tuesday, June 5, 2012