The Blue Lightning Initiative, led by the Department of Transportation and the Department of Homeland Security, is an element of the DHS Blue Campaign. ( DHS Blue Campaign )
- Blue Lightning trains airline personnel to identify potential traffickers and their victims and to report their suspicions to federal law enforcement. Blue Lightning training includes:
- A computer-based training module
- Printed educational materials
- Participating airlines instruct their employees using the Blue Lightning training module and associated materials. The training may be integrated into airlines’ initial or refresher training for flight attendants, customer service representatives, and other personnel.
- Blue Lightning illustrates common indicators of trafficking that airline employee may encounter and how to report suspected trafficking to law enforcement officers immediately.
- To alert authorities about suspected trafficking, airline employees can follow their airline’s in-flight reporting protocol or call the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Homeland Security Investigations Tip Line.
- Blue Lightning’s real-time reporting mechanism gives law enforcement additional time to research and analyze information and coordinate an appropriate, effective response.
- For airlines to learn more about using Blue Lightning to inform employees about human trafficking and their reporting options, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com for more information.
- Participation is open to any U.S. airline.
- We all have a responsibility to be vigilant. You can help by learning the basic indicators of human trafficking. Take the DHS Blue Campaign’s general awareness training, and when you see something, report it. ( Awareness Training )
U.S. Customs and Border Protection, a DHS agency, and the Department of Transportation lead Blue Lightning in coordination with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Human Smuggling and Trafficking Center, Federal Air Marshal Service, Federal Aviation Administration, nongovernmental organizations and private industry.